Ideas for/ thoughts on how to fix the economy

Levasier

Helper
Helper
Jun 8, 2019
Right.
Big topics.
So overall, it seems to me that there currently we need to remove money from the economy. Two categories of ways to do this are 'money sinks' (new items/things for people to spend their money on), and 'taxes' (adding/raising prices to server features).
When adding these, as well as the effect on the economy you need to be aware of the effect on player happiness. Arguably money sinks are much better received than taxes, since taxes don't get the players anything (unlike irl).
Also, it seems to me that adding money sinks will probably require more coding than adding taxes, and with csoi gone idk how much work can be done. So, I've tried to add a rough guide on coding time for the latter category (from my small experience/guesses about coding).

Please note that this is meant as a starter for a discussion. PLEASE comment below, be critical (but not rude), discuss it.

So Taxes

- Tax /fix
This is one that was suggested in chat - it was suggested that this was taxed up to 1k per fix. Honestly, since it's such a small amount, I'm not sure how much difference this would make.
You could (don't hate me for this), increase it up to 5k, or even 10k per fix. However, if you do decide to implement this, you should probably decrease the cooldown (maybe 5 min for immortals+ and 0min for sovereigns), in order to balance it. I don't mind this, but thats only because I'm not sure that it will make me lose much money, which is kind of against the point.
- Tax /ah
Personally I'm against this idea. I feel that all it would do would be to drive players away from /ah, causing them to conduct more chat trades. Yes, /ah does have a certain usefulness and ease of access that would mean it was still used, so it would work to an extent (probably more than taxing /fix). However, I believe that this would just detract from a good feature.
- Tax Kingdoms upgrades
I like this idea. As many people are aware, upgrading kingdoms is quite frankly boring. Perhaps by adding money to kingdom upgrades (maybe increasing from 100k all the way up to 10mil or higher for kingdom level 10), and maybe decreasing the mats (25%, 50% idk), it might decrease boredom and help remove money from the economy. The one danger with this is what people have been complaining about before is that too many empires are popping up, but if you make the prices high enough it might even make less people raise their town level.
- Tax everyone!
This kind of already happens using towns. Most of the big players own towns/empires, and the upkeep for this is already high enough; even if the top players aren't the owners of towns they probably contribute money to their town. I would say no to this idea then.
- Tax jobs
Hmm. Some people have suggested lowering the money you get from jobs. Personally I don't really do jobs to get money, but for prestiges, but from what I understand it is the way that most of the people on /baltop have made their millions. So it seems perhaps an obvious one to add. Yet this does seem like a tricky thing to balance, because such a tax would not be able to be very high (10% at the very maximum) since it risks severely offending players. For me, I'm not really an expert on this area of balancing, though the obvious idea would be to increase the xp gained from jobs in order to make them a little (or greatly) easier to level.

And Money Drains

- Adding second layer of collectibles
This would work as a maybe temporary solution. Like the last time /collectibles were added, it would work for about 3 months while people got it, then the prices would once more drop after everyone had it. I don't think resetting/adding a prestige to collectibles would help since there are already so many of the original collectibles circulating at rly cheap prices, and also resetting it would just make people feel cheated. So I like this. In terms of rewards for this, the obvious one is more pvs, and more jobs limit. Obviously, its more rewards are attractive to me, but I don't know how averse Getblock is to adding this. And since you already have the code for /collectibles, it doesn't seem like you would need much work to add a second bracket.
- Adding Legendary Items
So adding more items with even more effects. Several people suggested this in chat, and this reminded me of my suggestion here: https://apeironmc.com/forums/threads/legendary-items.722/ This was something I posted a while ago, and while Csoi originally turned it down, she ended up using several items from it in the Halloween event (yeah blame me for some of the bad items ik). So adding more cool items is always appreciated, again I don't know how much Getblock would dislike this.
The reason Csoi didn't like it was she didn't see that players would want such items. Personally, I disagree, and am going to use this opportunity to advertise another of my suggestions: adding a dungeon; it's not exactly a money sink, rather a fun way to earn money, and would also provide a use for all these legendary items I've suggested: https://apeironmc.com/forums/threads/large-dungeon-update.826/
In terms of easiness of implementation, it doesn't seem like this one would take a while either. I, as someone who is terrible at coding, could create the items using normal minecraft forward slash coding in about an hour. So yeah.
- Adding Another Rank
Ok yes, this one always gets a groan. I'm not entirely suggesting this, just considering all options. As some people often say before they get shouted down, you could add another rank above sovereign, which costs even more money, but has even better perks. This would, I suppose, generate irl money for the server, though I have usually found the idea of another rank is just seen as a money grab and viewed negatively by the server, despite the possibility of gaining more perks. Some perks I have seen suggested include /god (only in overworld, and it kind of defeats the point of several job prestiges like /hellskin and /keepinv), survival w/e (where it uses the mats from your inventory), increased bonus on jobs money/xp, and I'm just going to throw in Nikhil72's post about /incognito, which is like /vanish without the actual ig invisibility effect.
Update: there's more: ability to /heal other players with a 10 minute cooldown, ability to see (not interact with) other players inventory with /invsee (idk how much people care about privacy, I don't really mind much), portable anvil with /anvil (like /craft), get one free player warp. All of these perks together might be too op, but its up to you what is/if its added.
Also the ability to buy more spawners is discussed below; this could be a perk for this new rank.
Thinking about actually adding this, it seems like several perks might take some long coding work.
And I'm just going to throw some suggested names for the rank out there: God, Titan, Emperor, Boss, Duke, Angel, Master.
Personally, I'm pretty indifferent about adding this.
- Adding More Mob Spawners
This might be included in the previous one about another rank, but adding more spawners to /spawner shop might be a way to remove some money from the top players.
Spawners which are still missing from the server: Zombie Pigman, Wither Skeleton, Snow and Iron Golems, Husk/Stray spawners (idk if anyone actually wants those), Silverfish, Endermite, Vindicator, Evoker, Phantom. Again not hard to code. While this would be great to have, my only concern (particularly for the Iron Golem) is that it might end up making even more money than it costs eventually, and so break the economy more than currently. So maybe add all of them other than Iron Golem.
- Adding Another Crate which costs Server Money
I saw this suggested, but personally I feel that there are usually enough event keys on /ah which you can buy with igm that the event crate is basically already this.

Note: there will probably be more, but this is it for now.

Crackle

Jul 1, 2019
I like the ideas of money drains since they remain optional (yet mostly sought after by those with high bals). What I feel like we're ignoring here is what has worked so far. We need to instantiate price floors. While people may say that everyone will sell at that price then, it's not true. If there are only a few people selling that item at a given time, they can price it above the floor and it'll be bought since it's the buyer's only choice. I had run a debate on the efficacy of price floors in our real economy, and I find it to be applicable here.

Levasier

Helper
Helper
Jun 8, 2019
Yeah price floors are something I haven't really considered, since I don't know much about them, but I see what you mean. Certainly things like the sovereign kit and event keys need price floors, because their value just plummeted after people decided to lower the price in order to sell them faster. So like sovereign kit needs price floor of 300k or maybe more, and event key needs price floor of 250k. And literally banning prices falling would certainly help with economy.

Crackle

Jul 1, 2019
yeah, people seem hellbent on lowering their prices to get things sold faster, which just screws over other sellers. you need to manually enforce laws against that behavior

Reactions: Levasier