Job- Driver or Operator(?)

Bamaguy56

Nov 6, 2018
The name needs work, but what about a job based around traveling in Mine-carts... idk if it would be the same as adventurer... but it could be interesting to get Railways and Such to become a thing... which opens up the idea of traveling back and forth from towns. 🧐🤔 Thoughts on what this could go into/be?

Levasier

Jun 8, 2019
I do kind of like this idea, but as just a job... it seems kind of small. So clearly the actions for this would be to 'place' rails, and to 'explore' while in minecarts. I suppose that you could also add to this 'craft' of minecarts/rails. Most jobs have quite a few types of getting money, and since travelling in minecarts is such a rare thing when you can fly, i doubt many people would want this. I reckon that this might turn out like blacksmith, which is done only for the prestiges, not because they actually intend to earn money from the job. Like blacksmith, none of these jobs would be done normally. So why not add this to another job: Engineer, a job which I suggested in a post yesterday; it earns money via redstone stuff, and it seems to me that minecart travel fits into this category.
Another thing to consider is that you don't need to do anything for minecart travel - in fact, if you set yourself up on a minecart track loop you could afk, break the afk limit, and earn money. This is banned, and 'is banned even if you use it for under 30 minutes'. In other words, you would have to be going somewhere, no going around on endless loops, which seems pretty much the only way to level this job. It might promote people breaking the rules in order to level this job.
This would also raise the problem of how much to pay it: do you pay it little, since you don't need to do anything for travelling in minecarts, or do you pay it much, since there is little you can do to level it.
So yeah, my verdict (which is clearly biased towards my own idea of Engineer) is to add minecart stuff to Engineer.

Levasier

Jun 8, 2019
As a side note, whenever I try to think of new jobs, I try to think of actions that people would naturally do, rather than actions which people would do for the sole purpose of levelling the job for prestiges. I think this is why blacksmith failed so badly, since crafting 100s of swords isn't really something that people naturally do. Unfortunately, while I can see that you are suggesting the job in order to promote minecart travel, I do feel like the job falls into the latter category, and that only people with this job would do this. Whilst people can fly/the nether resets, I suspect minecart travel will sadly remain uncommon.

Levasier

Jun 8, 2019
Also in terms of names, its best to look up synonyms. So for train driver: machinist, motorman, engineer, driver, conductor, operator. Out of this, my personal favourites are machinist, engineer (duh), and conductor. Certainly conductor has the most 'train'-y vibes

Bamaguy56

Nov 6, 2018
Motorman, I like it lol b
Also in terms of names, its best to look up synonyms. So for train driver: machinist, motorman, engineer, driver, conductor, operator. Out of this, my personal favourites are machinist, engineer (duh), and conductor. Certainly conductor has the most 'train'-y vibes
I believe Conductor fits perfect tbh. As for promoting it, perhaps traveling to cities could be made important if /s home’s were limited to Empire Members... perhaps also involving more tp’s to the player, but that’s just one idea... I’m sure we could find another reason to make it more prevalent ofc. Or even Horsejockey perhaps, making road travel important. 🧐 Many possibilities, just needs more thought into it.

Magnido9

Mod
Oct 28, 2018
This job idea is pretty nice, however, we are not looking to add any new jobs right now since we just added two new jobs :)
We will, however, look into this suggestion in a few months.
Thank you for taking time and coming up with this suggestion :)