Jobs Plugin Update Suggestions

mattcupp

May 5, 2020
Overview

This is an analysis based on my own experiences with each job. I am not sure what everyone else’s feelings are on this, but from what I have noticed, the jobs are all over the place. I know that it will be impossible for all jobs to be completely equal, but it would be nice if each job would have similarities, with some not being over, or underwhelming.

I will start with an overview of each job and their strengths and weaknesses, reviewing the job itself, as well as the prestige perks given. I will get into more detail for each job further down on this post. The main point of this post is to buff the jobs that are lacking, not to nerf the jobs that are over-powered. That being said, there are some common sense nerfs that I will suggest just because some job quirks make no sense whatsoever. I will make note of the jobs that seem to be too strong in their current state, but generally will shy away from calling for a nerf.

Miner – In my opinion, Miner is both one of the most overpowered, and underpowered jobs we have. Blast mining is far and away one of the best ways to make money on the server, while traditional mining is laughably underwhelming. In my opinion, this job is in need of a rework.

Pros​
Cons​
Blast mining is extremely profitable, and also has a good return of xp.Traditional mining is incredibly underpowered, and returns poor xp.
Prestige 2, haste is one of the best perks on the server.Prestige one is borderline useless when Albright mods are allowed.
One of the few jobs that can be powerleveled.Prestige 3, unbreaking pickaxes is very underwhelming.
99% afk grinding possible.Instant break for ores requires Efficiency 8 tools with haste 2. Most players will not have access to these tools and perks without significant time/money investment.

Digger – Digger is rather unique in that the job itself is not overpowered, however the high demand for sand on this server makes it one of the most profitable jobs to grind. This job is probably fine where it is and does not need to have a rework.

Pros​
Cons​
Sand sells extremely high to other players on this server, making this one of the best jobs for consistent returns on time put in. Instant break shovels are cheap and easy to come by.Prestige 3, unbreaking shovels is very underwhelming.
Prestige 1, filter is one of the best perks on the server, especially with changes being made.
Prestige 2, walkspeed is very useful.
Blast digging makes job a breeze to level.

Farmer – Farmer has a good balance of income and xp, however its prestiges are quite disappointing and the job needs a buff.

Pros​
Cons​
Good income and xp gain.Prestige 1, item pickup is broken and will only put one of each item broken into inventory, regardless of mcmmo double drops, or crop double drops.
Prestige 3 is very useful for harvesting crops quickly.Prestige 2, replant is broken. It is not fully functional, and is rather useless when you consider that someone will have maxed farmer mcmmo prior to prestiging twice, making this entirely useless.

Chef – Chef is a very balanced job, and one of the best so far. It has both an income grinding option, as well as an exp grinding option. All jobs should strive for this.

Pros​
Cons​
Prestige 1, Brewery Plugin access is niche, and most players may dabble, but will not invest the time needed to master this.
Prestige 3, income increase is great and not overpowered, failing to stack with income boosts.Prestige 2, Buffet is convenient for sure, but higher ranks get /feed so this is not amazing
Chef is the only job that can be hired out to be completed by another player.

Builder – One of the most overpowered jobs in my opinion. That being said, Builder should not be nerfed as the nature of the job is to be either OP or completely useless.

Pros​
Cons​
Extremely profitable and very fast xp gain for someone who is grinding the job.Can be frustrating for people who are building to build, not to grind as it returns very poor income and xp.
Prestige 3 is absolutely fantastic for anyone who builds regularly. One of the best prestiges in the game.Prestige 2, /concrete is very niche, and with the prevalence of the Concrete Materials kit, most people will rarely, if ever, need this command.
Only one way to grind the job.

Adventurer – Pretty balanced job.

Pros​
Cons​
Can semi-afk for the entire grind.Income and xp from exploration very low.
Some materials grinded are valuable (i.e. gunpowder).Only one viable way to grind this job.
Prestige 1, Income and XP boost are a good first prestige perk.
Prestige 3, Retain inventory is fantastic.

Aquaman – Painful to grind, but not in a bad place overall.

Pros​
Cons​
Prestige 1, Income Boost is a good first prestige perk.
Pay and xp for various actions are quite reasonable.Prestige 2, elder guardian spawner is terrible. There is very little need for these extremely expensive spawners.
Large number of actions give payment.Prestige 3, breathe and dry are both very underwhelming.

Hellboy – This job is one of the more overpowered ones on the server.

Pros​
Cons​
Netherwart farming is one of the best income sources on the server. This is extremely OP in my opinion.Prestige 2 is basically useless as Ghast spawners are incredibly overpriced and no one will buy them.
Prestige 1, hellskin is great for further Hellboy grinding.Prestige 3 is niche. Cool in theory but not super useful.
Blast mining makes job grinding a breeze.
Semi-afk grinding possible.

Enderboy – Leveling this job sucks. It is one of the worst jobs to level and is in desperate need of a buff

Pros​
Cons​
Prestige 1, teleport to spawn instead of dying when falling into void is very nice.There is no fast way to grind this job. Enderman spawners and farms are much too slow to be effective.
Prestige 2, enderman spawners are very expensive and very slow. Not a fantastic perk.
Prestige 3, fly in end is nice, but is very underwhelming as a 3rd tier perk.

Wizard – Job is a pain to level, and definitely needs some love.

Pros​
Cons​
Prestige 1, tp cooldown bypass is extremely convenient.Prestige 2, mooshroom spawners and panda spawners are really not great. Most players will never need, or even want one of these.
Semi-afk grinding possible.Prestige 3, personal beacon is nice in theory, but the cooldown makes it frustrating to use, and pet beacons can do most of the same things.

Woodcutter – This job is clearly incomplete and very underwhelming.

Pros​
Cons​
Very fast to level with /tg when farming giant spruce or jungle trees.Only one way to level job.
Prestige 1, job income boost is good for a first prestige and actually makes woodcutter quite profitable.Prestige 2, unbreaking axes is very underwhelming.
Prestige 3 does not exist.

Blacksmith – The most niche job, and from what I have heard, the most expensive to level. I have no experience with this job, so I cannot give a fair assessment of it. From what I can tell, it seems to be in a good place.

I will go through each job in much more detail, and I will strive to make the jobs more balanced as a whole. I think that Chef is the most balanced job currently, so I will be using it as my basis in order to balance jobs.

THE GOALS OF MY BALANCES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
  • Each job will have a money-making option and an xp making option (i.e. Chef has cooking food for money, and crafting food for xp). No single action will be best for both income and xp unless there is no other option.
  • Each job will have one good/great prestige perk (i.e. Income Boost for Chef)
  • Each job will have one okay-ish prestige perk (i.e. Buffet for Chef)
  • Each job will have one niche/bad* prestige perk (i.e. Brewery Plugin)

* I am grouping bad and niche because to players who have no interest in the niche usage, it will be the same as a bad perk.

Last edited:

mattcupp

May 5, 2020
Jobs that I think are in a good place and need minimal, if any changes:

Chef

As I am using this as my frame of reference, I have no suggested edits to be made at this time.

Digger

This job is in a good place and I feel that no changes need to be made at this time.

Builder

Much like chef, builder is in a good place. I feel that any buffs or any nerfs would make the job either overpowered or underpowered.

Maybe take a look at items that should be added to builder, but in general, no changes are really necessary.

Aquaman

This job is in a good place income/xp wise. It feels painful to grind, but it would be easy to make overpowered with few changes.

Wizard

Wizard is in a pretty good place and I do not think that it needs any significant changes at this time.

Blacksmith

Once again, I do not have experience with this job. From what I can tell, it does make good money, but it takes a massive amount of money input in order to farm, so it seems well balanced from an outside look.

Hellboy

Hellboy is in a good place and only really needs one change. Perks are fine as they are.

Hellboy Example Rewards
ActionIncome RewardExp. Reward
Break Netherrak$60.81
TNTBreak Netherrak$2.800.97

Action Items

Reverse TNTBreak xp and Break XP.

mattcupp

May 5, 2020
Woodcutter

This is clearly the job that needs the most work. Everything about it is messed up.

Woodcutter Example Rewards
Break Oak/Birch/Spruce/Acacia Log$2.551.26
Break Jungle Log$1.280.97
Break Dark Oak Log$1.281.26
Break Warped/Crimson Stem$1.360.49

Action Items:

• Spruce logs should not be paid or given the same xp reward at the same rate as Oak/Birch/Acacia due to the existance of Giant Spruce
  • Warped/Crimson stems should not receive xp as low as they do.
  • Income and XP needs adjusted across the board.
Suggested Edits and Reasoning

• Spruce and Jungle Log income should be made identical. These values should be brought up to the current value of Oak/Spruce/Birch/Acacia, a base of $2.55. The xp gain for these should be 0.75 per log.
  • At my giant spruce farm, I can reach an income of about $1,500/job income tick assuming that I do not make any mistakes. This is good income, but in no way overpowered, so I do not think that the income should change (it should be noted that this is with the Prestige 1 buff). It is possible to hit more than 500 xp in a job tick which is way higher than it should be. Bringing it down to 0.49xp per block would make an xp max of about 200. Still very fast compared to other jobs, but good for this job due to the limited usefulness of this job in general.
  • Oak/Birtch/Acacia log income AND xp gain should be doubled to $5.10 base and 2.56xp each.
  • Even with a 2x2 tree column being broken for these tree types, the average number of logs being broken at once will still be less than half of that of spruce and jungle.
  • Dark Oak should be raised to $3.83 base, and 1.53xp each.
  • Due to the average size of these trees being somewhere in the middle of oak/birch/acacia and spruce/jungle, splitting the difference would make sense.
  • Crimson/Warped Stem should have $6.80 base and 3.40xp each. This may sound overpowered, but due to the relative difficulty of farming these plants effectively, the rewards should be higher, as efficiency will be much much lower.
Changes Impact

These suggested edits will do a couple of things. They will make spruce and jungle income be equal as should be the case. They will also fix the abysmal income and xp that comes from Dark Oak and Crimson/Warped Stems.

This will also fulfill the goal that there should be a “best” income, and a “best” xp gain. With these adjustments, Spruce/Jungle will be the best income source by a significant amount, and Oak/Birch/Acacia will be the best xp source by a significant amount.

Perks

Prestige 1 – Increased Job Income

• This fulfills the goal of one good/great prestige perk
Prestige 2 – Axes don’t take any damage

• This fulfills the goal of one niche/bad prestige perks
Prestige 3 – Not Assigned. Possible Suggestions Below

• The ability to convert charcoal to coal (best option IMO)
  • This would increase the efficiency of charcoal by 10% (9 charcoal can cook 72 items, coal blocks do 80). This would fulfil the goal of a okay-ish prestige perk.
  • Considerations would need to be made on the value of selling coal to the /shop. I would assume that this would not need to be changed due to the fact that there is no fast way to smelt logs into charcoal, but I am not sure how staff would feel about this.
  • Removal of /tg cooldown
  • This could be considered a second good/great prestige perk, and may make the job overpowered

Last edited:

mattcupp

May 5, 2020
Miner

This job would be very well balanced with one simple change.

Miner Example Rewards
Break Stone$61
TNTBreak Stone$2.801
Break Diamond Ore$608.75
TNTBreak Diamond Ore$3015.75

Action Items

• Fix experience gain from both Break and TNTBreak

• Swap xp for all “Break” items with the corresponding “TNTBreak” values.
  • It makes no logical sense the TNTBreak would give more xp than hand breaking when it is so much faster then hand breaking.
  • After the swap has been made, double all “Break” exp values, and quarter all “TNTBreak” exp values.
  • This will balance the two job options greatly.
  • If possible, add breaking silverfish stone to miner for significantly more xp and money than normal stone. Do not add to “TNTBreak”. Consider adding “kill silverfish” to miner job as well considering most of the time, people kill silverfish while mining, not while farming adventurer.

Changes Impact

Drastically changing the xp amounts for both Break and TNTBreak will fulfill the goal of having one action be better income (Blast Mining) and one action being better xp (traditional mining). Yes, blast mining will still be a faster way to level, but with these changes, it will at least make traditional mining a viable way to level up the miner job.

Adding silverfish blocks and killing silverfish would add some flair to the job, and would make running into those little bastards less of a pain.

Perks

Prestige 1 – Nightvision

• With modded clients being allowed, this fulfills the goal of one okay-ish perk
Prestige 2 – Haste

• This fulfills the goal of one good/great perk
Prestige 3 – Unbreaking Pickaxes

• This fulfills the goal of one niche/bad perk.

mattcupp

May 5, 2020
Farmer

The farmer job is relatively well balanced when it comes to experience and payment for its items, but the perks leave much to be desired.

Farmer Example Rewards
Break Melon Block$14.903.20
Break Pumpkin$14.902.13
Break Sugar Cane$7.601.07
Break Cactus$9.952.52

Action Items

• Edit income and/or xp for melons/cactus
  • Add potatoes, beetroot, and carrots to the /jobs browse payment info sheets. You get paid for these but they seem not to show up.

• Change income for breaking melons to $9.9
  • Melons a bit overpowered.
  • Chang income for breaking cactus to $50
  • Cactus are one of the few things in Minecraft which have no tool to increase the break speed. Anyone who takes the time to farm cactus by hand should at least be rewarded for it.
Changes Impact

Lowering the income from melons will fulfill the goal of having one item return the best experience, melons, and a different item to return the best money, pumpkins.

Cactus is just paid incredibly low and there is no reason that it should be.

Perks

Prestige 1 – Item Pickup

• Considering this will only pick up a single drop of many from something like a potato break, this fulfills the goal of a niche/bad perk
Prestige 2 – Replant

• As mcmmo level 2000 grants replant, this is a worthless perk and must be replaced.
  • Possible replacements would be that replanted crops are hit with a couple rounds of bonemeal automatically? Still would be underwhelming, but would be better than useless.
Prestige 3 – Area Break

• If this can be made to be 100% contestant, and provides payment for all crops broken in that area, then this would absolutely fulfill the good/great perk. If not then once again this falls in the niche/bad group.

mattcupp

May 5, 2020
Adventurer

Once again, this is a pretty well balanced job.

Miner Example Rewards
ActionIncome Reward w/ Pres 1Exp. Reward
Kill Creeper$12.2510.72
Explore 1$29.7013.24
Explore 5$11.144.67

Action Items

• Buff exploring

• Double xp from Exploring 1, and buff the rest even more
  • I do not understand the Explore 1-5 differences, but even at the highest xp this is still much, much worse experience than you would get from farming creepers. All tiers of “Explore” need to be higher to compete.
Changes Impact

This change would fulfill the goal of having one action be the best income (grinding creepers) and one action would be the highest xp (exploration)

Perks

Prestige 1 – Increased Income/Xp

Prestige 2 – Flyspeed

• This fulfills the goal of one okay-ish prestige perk
Prestige 3 – Keep Inventory

• This is a second good/great prestige perk, but it does not make the job perks overpowered

mattcupp

May 5, 2020
Enderboy

Enderboy Example Rewards
Break Endstone$7.451.28
Break Obsidian$24.7511.64
Kill End Dragon$2,225.002910.00
Craft Shulker Boxes$29.7029.10

Action Items

• Increase Obsidian xp
  • Increase End Dragon Exp

• Increase Obby xp by 2-3x
  • This will help to make up for the amount of time that it takes to mine obsidian.
  • Increase Kill End Dragon exp to 10,000.
  • What is more endboy than slaughtering the end dragon? The End Dragon has a respawn time of what seems to be about 5 minutes. This should be much more heavily rewarded than it currently is.
Changes Impact

We are required to farm thousands of obsidian for town upgrades. This would at least make the grind somewhat worthwhile. Income for obby was increased recently and there was absolutely no reason to do this.

Increasing the End Dragon xp significantly would give a good way to farm the job. At this rate, you would still need to kill the dragon more than 60 times in order to get one prestige of Enderboy, but this feels much more in line with what the rewards should be.

Perks

Prestige 1 – Falling into the void teleports to spawn

Prestige 2 – Enderman Spawner

• This fulfills the goal of one niche/bad prestige perk
Prestige 3 – Fly in end

• This fulfills the goal of one okay-ish prestige perk.