More Brewery Recipes and /brew unlabel all

Levasier

Helper
Helper
Jun 8, 2019
Just as a quick suggestion before the main suggestion, it would be nice to be able to do /brew unlabel all , and have it /brew unlabel every brew you have in your inventory.

Recently I unlocked chef prestige 1, which is access to the brewery plugin. Believe me, the plugin is awesome. However, from what I have gathered, there are a few features of it that are underutilised, and improving this should make brewery more useful, rather than it just giving the novelty of being drunk.

There are two features that I feel could be improved on: firstly, the effects given, and second, the mystery of the recipes.
In terms of the effects given, I feel that quite often it is not worth brewing something, simply because the harm of being drunk/the effects like nausea and poison outweigh the bonus effects like speed, haste and jump boost. At the moment, normal potions easily are more useful than brews. Also, brews are made even less useful because of /petbeacons. Brews need to be something that people would actually use, and so they need to provide effects that nothing else does (glowing, night vis etc.)
In terms of the recipes, while I love the fact that there is a list of them, from which players can make their own brews, I think it would be nice if there was a bit more mystery about the recipes. For example, you could change it so that, while you tell everyone how to make the main brews, for the seasonal brews you only list the ingredients, and not the amounts of ingredients, nor the distillations/aging time. Or you could give hints as to the recipe (more on that further down).

This leads up to my main suggestion, which is to add more brews which a) have more useful effects and b) have more mysterious recipes.
When I say more useful effects, I'm not looking for an op potion that gives permanent Haste II. But what I mean is to firstly have the effects last longer (most brews give only 1:30 effects max), and to make the effect more useful/rare. For example, on a different server (see below) I saw that they have 'Sovereign Tea', which gives glowing for two minutes. If I didn't have /glow, I wouldn't mind trading being drunk for glowing. Some of my ideas for brews might be:
- Adrenaline Shot: giving Haste IV for 5 min, but also giving Hunger IV for 2 min (unless you have /buffet you will need to down lots of food).
- Dusk's Dew: giving Night Vision for 15 min, as well as Nausea for 1 minute.
- Firewhiskey: giving Fire Resistance for 10 min, but Weakness and Poison for 2 min.
- Enchanted Springwater: giving Conduit Power for 10 min, and also Nausea for 1 minute.
I'm assuming all of these would also make you a bit drunk. Note how, while the effects are often better than potions they are often counteracted. Also, while several of these may seem overpowered, don't forget that people would have to discover these recipes first.

Now, when I first learnt that brewery had been added, I found the wiki of a different server with the plugin, and they have done what I reckon we should do here. I don't believe I am allowed to post the link, but if you google Civclassics brewery plugin it comes up (staff could use this for recipe ideas).
Learning from them: publish hints for these new recipes, rather than giving the exact recipe. An idea of this is 'An age old tale recounted a story of a decrepit spider who would peel off the flesh of its numerous victims.' While gruesome, this hint was for a brew made of fermented spider's eye and rotten flesh. Though in fact, I find this one quite obvious, maybe some less obvious ones would be better, in order to make it harder to decipher the precise items.
Also, if you intend to make the recipes more mysterious, you should also add a rule to not publish brewing recipes in global chat.

Last edited:
C

CsoiSauce

We are planning on creating mystery brews in the future. This was used in our Brewery Event for the seasonal brews. I understand your wish for more OP brews and we are working on it. However, as Brewery hasn't been out that long, we need to have a gradual progression. If we make OP brews right off the bat, we will have to continue to make better brews until we hit a wall and/or ruin the economy further.

Labels of the brews are important for us and other people to decipher what went wrong in a brew if it remains normal quality. It isn't really necessary for keeping brews mysterious, as you can tell you have the perfect version after the first 20 minutes in the barrel.

Levasier

Helper
Helper
Jun 8, 2019
I kind of get what you mean. Just one question though, is to ask if why we 'have to continue to make better brews'? I'm guessing there is a reason for this, but from what I can see, you could just make 4 sets of good brews, and cycle them for each season.
Also, I would love to have Sovereign Tea added to the game, ignoring all other brews, because that one just seems really cool, but not OP since glow is simply cosmetic.

C

CsoiSauce

I kind of get what you mean. Just one question though, is to ask if why we 'have to continue to make better brews'? I'm guessing there is a reason for this, but from what I can see, you could just make 4 sets of good brews, and cycle them for each season.
Also, I would love to have Sovereign Tea added to the game, ignoring all other brews, because that one just seems really cool, but not OP since glow is simply cosmetic.
We don't really want to be giving out the same brews, different season. Additionally, if one OP brew is created, then there will be a lot of pressure to create a better one for the following season. Instead of enjoying the variety of brews, players will unfortunately only focus on the OP ones that are created once the effects are all discovered. We want players to enjoy all of the brews, not just one or two. :p